Application-Optimized Storage for SMB ITBuilt on proven BeyondRAID™ technology, coupled with new and innovative Automated Data-Aware Tiering, the Drobo B1200i delivers a level of automation and technical sophistication usually reserved for more expensive enterprise solutions. All in a product as easy to use as a Drobo. The Drobo B1200i is optimized for Small and Medium Business (SMB) IT to provide reliable, high-performance, and self-optimizing storage for server virtualization, email, and data protection. It integrates seamlessly into your TCP/IP network infrastructure and utilizes the industry-standard iSCSI protocol to provide powerful, yet simple, consolidated storage for your IT environment.
A Drobo B1200i iSCSI array can hold up to 36TB of raw storage and beyond. To add capacity, simply insert a new hard drive or replace your smallest drive with a larger one, even when all drive bays are full. Unlike traditional RAID systems, the BeyondRAID technology in Drobo enables you to leverage different drive capacities, allowing for continuous expansion as larger drives become available. With Drobo, expansion is automatic and instantaneous and access to data is always maintained, all while protecting you from two simultaneous drive failures. Learn more about BeyondRAID.
Automated Data-Aware Tiering
The Drobo B1200i moves beyond the days of manually tuning an array for applications that have different storage requirements. Automated Data-Aware Tiering leverages high-capacity hard disk drives (HDDs) paired with high-performance solid state drives (SSDs) to deliver application-optimized storage that requires no manual tuning. SSD support with Automated Data-Aware Tiering is a available in firmware version 1.1.0 or higher. Click here for a detailed FAQ document. Click here to learn how easy it is to add SSDs to your B1200i.
Smart Volumes with Thin Provisioning
Create new volumes up to 16TB in seconds and manage them over time with ease. The innovative and timesaving Smart Volume management technology with Thin Provisioning integrated into the Drobo B1200i allows volumes to pull storage from the common pool of disks rather than a specific physical disk allocation. The labor of resizing and migrating volumes is replaced with the simplicity of intelligent engineering. Learn more about Thin Provisioning.
Designed for IT Environments
The B1200i is the first Drobo with serviceable modular components. This hardware design provides a removable controller card; dual-redundant, hot-swappable power supplies; and a hot-swappable cooling fan unit. You can source field replaceable units in advance in case of a single hardware component failure, to ensure high uptimes. This delivers the higher level of availability demanded by virtualized IT environments.
Optimizing Business Applications
Similar to business applications, Drobo is ideal for building your first server virtualization cluster, highly available email server, or scalable backup server. Drobo technology has been certified for VMware vSphere, Symantec Backup Exec, and Veeam Backup environments. Learn more about Drobo business solutions on the Drobo Broadcast Network.
About iSCSI SANs
Unfamiliar with iSCSI? It’s a high-performance protocol that’s become extremely popular storage networking technology in IT environments, but it can often be complex to manage. Drobo B800i changes that by introducing zero-click iSCSI configuration for both Windows and Mac OS X servers. With an iSCSI SAN, centralized storage is provided to each server over a high-speed Ethernet network and storage can be allocated or expanded instantaneously. Also, no single server can tie up free space and there are fewer storage devices to maintain. Learn more about iSCSI SANs.
Click here for the Drobo B1200i Data Sheet
Drobo B1200i Specifications
Connectivity:Four Gigabit Ethernet ports (one dedicated to management)
Drives:Accommodates from 1 to 12 3.5" SAS or SATA hard drives or 2 to 3 solid state drives (with up to 9 hard drives). No carriers or tools required. Click here for drive recommendations.
Compatibility:Drobo connects to Windows, Mac, Linux, and VMware systems and supports NTFS, HFS+, ext3, and VMFS file system formats.
- 3 x 100 / 1000 Mbps Ethernet port for data (iSCSI)
- 1 x 100 / 1000 Mbps Ethernet port for management
- 12 drive bays for hard disk drives or solid state drives
- 3.5" SAS-1/SAS-2 drives
- 3.5” SATA I / SATA II / SATA III drives
- Expandable by adding drives or hot-swapping drives with larger ones. Use the Capacity Calculator to estimate available storage in various configurations.
- SSDs will be supported in a software update targeted for late April
- Thin Provisioning
- Instant Expansion
- Mixed Drive Size Utilization
- Automatic Protection Levels
- Dual Disk Redundancy
- Virtual Hot Spare
- Data Aware
- Drive Re-ordering
Additional Software Features
- Automated Data-Aware Tiering
- Smart Volumes (LUNs, up to 255)
- Drive Spin Down
- Drobo Copy
- Connection Failover
- Jumbo frames (up to 9000 bytes MTU)
- CHAP Authentication
- Carrier-less Drive Bays
- Field replaceable controller card, power supplies, and cooling fan unit
Operating System Support
- Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 and above
- Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1 32 and 64 bit
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64 bit
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Intel only)
- VMware vSphere 5.0 - 5.1U1 (ESXi)
- Citrix XenServer 5.6
File System Options
- Mac OS X: HFS+
- Windows: NTFS, FAT32
- Linux: ext3
- VMware vSphere: VMFS
- Citrix XenServer: LVM
- Drive bay indicator lights, capacity gauge, status lights
- Drobo Dashboard version 2.0 or later
Size and Weight
- 3U rack mount form factor (rack mount kit included)
- Width: 17.17 in (436.1 mm)
- Height: 5.20 in (132.1 mm)
- Depth: 21.85 in (555.0 mm)
- Weight: 47 lb (without hard drives or packaging)
Power and Cooling
- Dual, redundant, hot-swappable power supplies: AC Input - 100/240 VAC, 8/5 A, 50/60 Hz
- Redundant, hot swappable cooling unit
- Operating Temperature: 10°C – 35°C (50° – 95°F)
- Non-Operating Temperature (storage): -10° – 60°C (14° – 140°F)
- Operating Humidity: 20% – 80%
- Environmental: RoHS, WEEE, REACH
- Regulatory: FCC Part 15 Class A; Canada ICES-003 Class B; CE Mark; CISPR22:19973rd Edition Class B; MIC Mark; VCCI Approval to V.3; BSMI Approval to CNS13438; ACA Approval to AS/NZS 3548
- Safety: UL, cUL, TUV, CB
- One (1) year warranty in the US or outside the EU or two (2) year warranty in the EU (as provided by EU law)
- Drobo B1200i
- Rack mount installation guide
- Rack mount parts
- 2 x 6 ft power cords
- Getting Started Guide (printed)
- Resource CD, which includes Drobo Dashboard application