When it comes to upgrading your Drobo to a larger or newer version, you have several options. Use the links below to navigate to the scenario that best fits your current configuration. In most cases, migrating your "disk pack" (set of drives) from an older Drobo to a newer one is as simple as removing them from the older one, and placing them in the new one. Also note that in most cases migrating drives is a one-way operation. Once you move drives, you will no longer be able to access the data they contain with the older Drobo.
NOTE: The following migration option is NOT supported: DroboPro to a Drobo other than DroboPro, that is, only DroboPro to DroboPro is supported.
UPDATE: Disk packs from Drobo (Gen 2) and Drobo S can be migrated to the new Drobo 5D. Since Drobo Mini introduces a new form factor
for drives, only migration from another Drobo Mini is supported.
Specific migration options are documented as follows:
WARNING: DO NOT migrate drives when either Drobo is turned on. This can result in data loss.
- Migrating your data from Drobo to Drobo S
- Migrating your data from Drobo to Drobo FS
- Migrating your data from Drobo to DroboPro
- Migrating your data from Drobo to DroboElite
- Migrating your data from DroboPro to DroboElite
- Migrating your data from a Drobo, Drobo S or DroboPro to DroboPro FS
- Migrating your data from a Drobo FS to Drobo B800fs
- Migrating your data from a Drobo FS to Drobo 5N
Supported Disk Pack Migrations
*Disk Packs created on Drobo firmware version 1.1.0 or greater
**Disk Packs created or updated on Drobo firmware version 1.4.0 mounted on a Mac cannot be migrated to Drobo S firmware version 2.1.1 and earlier or DroboPro firmware version 1.2.1 or Drobo 5D.