Mini in Size Only
It’s a Drobo, so by definition it’s easy-to-use. Now it’s also the fastest portable storage array—with cutting-edge Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 connectivity and innovative use of solid state drives (SSDs). Along with the power of BeyondRAID, it delivers all the power and flexibility of its larger sibling, Drobo 5D, in a miniaturized package.
Whether you’re working at your desktop, shooting and editing photos or videos onsite, or traveling to the next location, it’s the world's first high-performance and protected portable storage array. So now you can take and access your valuable digital assets wherever you go. Easiest, fastest, safest, smallest—Drobo Mini is unique and unexpected—but frankly that’s what you should expect from Drobo.
- Erik Pounds, Director of Product Management @ Drobo, takes you on a tour of the new 4-bay, portable, Thunderbolt-powered Drobo Mini
- Internationally-renowned consultant and Apple-Certified trainer Larry Jordan answers questions about how well the new Drobo units work with FCPX.
- Drobo Mini delivers just what customers want: faster, even more protection, and smaller. And don’t lose the ease-of-use.
- Drobo 5D streams video under heavy I/O load vs. another Thuderbolt storage system
Drobo Mini has everything that’s in the high-capacity Drobo 5D in a package that’s the size of a deli sandwich. Made of a cutting-edge metallic carbon fiber with a soft-touch rubberized finish, Drobo Mini is small, rugged, and feels as cool as it looks. From the modern materials to the wraparound light indicators to the drive bay design, Mini is truly
Weighing in at about 3 pounds (fully loaded with drives installed), you can now carry up to 4.5TB1 of usable and protected capacity in your travel bag. To make Drobo Mini as portable as possible, there’s an optional carrying case that holds the Drobo, power supply, and a connectivity cable.
1. 1.5TB drives are available on the market today. When drives with more than 1.5TB capacity become available, you can simply remove your smaller drives and upgrade to the larger drives on the fly.
First Drobo with 2.5” Drives
Drobo Mini takes 2.5” drives—that’s what makes it portable. Four hot-swappable drive bays support drives of any capacity. No carriers or screws are needed to insert drives into a Drobo and the Drobo Mini is no different. An innovative new design allows drives to click in and out like a ballpoint pen.
Since 2.5” drives are primarily used in laptop computers, they’re designed to be portable. Because of this, you can pick up and move Drobo Mini around with confidence.
Data Protection and Expandability Made Simple
Built on award-winning BeyondRAID technology with single- or dual-drive redundancy, Drobo Mini protects your data without any user interaction, even in the event of multiple drive failures.
Drives can be added or hot-swapped on-the-fly for storage expansion with zero downtime. If you’re running low on space, the wraparound lights on the front tell you what to do. Just add a drive in an empty bay or remove a smaller drive and replace it with a larger one.
Power of Thunderbolt & Flexibility of USB
Thunderbolt I/O technology provides performance that no personal storage has been able to achieve, especially one that’s portable. This allows you to move large amounts of data in a fraction of the time it used to take. Visit the Thunderbolt technology site to learn more about this exciting new way to connect devices.
Drobo Mini is equipped with dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining. Connect up to six Thunderbolt devices and/or a non-Thunderbolt monitor at the end of the chain. This allows even the most portable laptop computers access to high-performance storage while retaining connectivity to other devices and an external monitor. The bidirectional 10 Gbps performance of Thunderbolt allows all devices in the chain to achieve maximum throughput.
Drobo is the only storage array that offers Thunderbolt AND USB 3.0. This latest generation of USB also offers high-performance connectivity and is backward compatibility with any computer running compatible versions of Mac OS X or Windows.
NOTE: Thunderbolt is currently supported only on Mac OS X.
Capacity AND Performance
Data-Aware Tiering technology, usually reserved for business-class storage solutions, is also available in this portable Drobo. It intelligently uses the high-performance flash in SSDs to accelerate performance of the storage array, allowing applications such as Adobe Premiere and Apple Aperture fast access to data. To keep capacity of the Drobo at a maximum, the Drobo Accelerator Bay accepts an industry-standard mSATA SSD, leaving all four 2.5” drives bays available for high-capacity HDDs.
If getting the fastest performance possible is your thing, you can also load up every drive bay with SSDs. That would be a screaming fast portable Drobo!
Power Protecting Your Critical Data
Drobo doesn’t just protect you from a drive failure, but also from potential data loss after a power outage. Often found only in arrays that cost tens of thousands of dollars, Drobo Mini includes a battery that protects all data in memory, or cache, that is, data on its way to the drives. Yes, Drobo Mini actually has room for a big battery (barely)!
When power spontaneously goes away, the battery keeps the Drobo alive long enough for the data to be written to non-volatile storage, ensuring your important information is safe. This battery recharges itself and is designed to last for the life of the product.
- 2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only)
- 1 x USB 3.0 port
- USB cable included
- Thunderbolt cable sold separately
- Up to four (4) 2.5" SATA II / III hard disk drives or solid state drives (sold separately)
and one (1) mSATA solid state drive (sold separately)
- 7 mm and 9.5 mm in height (sold separately)
and one (1) mSATA solid state drive (sold separately)
- Drives of any manufacturer, capacity, spindle speed, and/or cache can be used. No carriers or tools required. Click here for drive recommendations.
- Expandable by adding drives or hot-swapping drives with larger ones.
- Thin Provisioning
- Instant Expansion
- Mixed Drive Size Utilization
- Automatic Protection Levels
- Dual Disk Redundancy
- Virtual Hot Spare
- Data Aware
- Drive Re-ordering
- Drive bay indicator lights, capacity gauge, status lights
- Drobo Dashboard version 2.3 or later
Operating System Support
- Mac OS X 10.7 and above
- Windows 7 SP1 32 and 64 bit
- Windows 8/8.1 32 and 64 bit
File System Options
- Mac OS X: HFS+
- Windows: NTFS
- Carrier-less Drive Bays
- Power Fail Protection
- Kensington Lock Port for Security
(lock not included)
Additional Software Features
- Data-Aware Tiering
- Drive Spin Down
- Dim Lights
Standard 2-year warranty; extend to 3 years and enhance support with DroboCare
Size and Weight
- Desktop Form Factor
- Width: 7.3 in (187.2 mm)
- Height: 1.8 in (44.6 mm)
- Depth: 7.1 in (180.0 mm)
- Weight: 2.2 lb (without hard drives, power supply, or packaging)
Power and Cooling
- External Power Supply: AC Input – 100-240VAC~2A, 50-60Hz; DC Output – 12V, 4.16A, 50W max
- Dual, fixed, variable speed cooling fans
- Drobo Mini
- 1 m (3.3 ft) USB 3.0 cable
- 1 m (3.3 ft) power cord with power supply
- Quick Start Card
- Drobo Mini Carrying Case